2.20.2011

Watching you watch me

A year ago, I did a series where I photographed people on the street without their knowledge. It was one of the most entertaining and stressful projects I've ever done. I shot mostly out the car window because I was so afraid they would notice me. After a while I felt the need to get closer in order to see their faces, and resorted to shooting from my waist with my camera strap still hanging from my shoulder. (Creeper status? Maybe.) I loved being able to see that raw, uninhibited version of a person when they feel like no one is watching. This series by Moa Karlberg takes the fascination further with portraits of people who see their reflection in a one way mirror, all the while being photographed from the other side. 





Moa writes:  "The project ”Watching you watch me” is discovering how a photographer can get as close as possible to others, without acting illegal. I have taken portraits of people through a mirror, when they are totally unaware of the camera inside. This way I get shots of people watching themselves.
Since the pictures are taken in public spaces, I can publish them however I want to. At least in Sweden, where the laws are generous to journalists and artists. But in which forums and publications does the single individual feel insulted? “Watching you watch me” is an effort to create debate on laws and ethics within the photographer’s role."






What do you think? How do you feel about street photography in general?

Check out http://www.moakarlberg.com/ to see some of her other projects, which are all pretty powerful.

1 comment:

WonderKitty said...

I really love these pictures, and I makes me wonder if I would have such a disgusted look on my face upon seeing my reflection.

I love the spontaneous feeling of the "street photography". I saw some of your stuff in that series and I think it is a great idea. With the right lens, you might have been able to sit a couple benches away, and still get some full on face shots. You should post some of them here.